Welcome to the Wagner Society of New York
To view information about the Society (the largest in this continent,
established in 1977, 40th anniversary this year!), upcoming events, membership,
excerpts from our bimonthly publication Wagner Notes, our extensive
catalogue of Wagner-related books (with member discounts), and links to many
other Wagner organizations and institutions, please click on the buttons. An
online membership form is also available.
MEMBERSHIP: Join or renew now and obtain many member benefits, including opportunities for group sales. Membership year: Sept. 2016–Aug. 2017. New membership received after March 1, is valid through August 2018. Click here or go to the membership button.
• Sept. 22 (Fri.), 7:30 p.m. Summer Festivals Roundup. Liederkranz Foundation, 6 East 87th Street, NYC. Click here for flyer.
• Oct. 6 (Fri.), 7:30 p.m. Judith Cabaud, author of Isolde’s Dream (a biography of Mathilde Wesendonck). With booksigning. At the Liederkranz. Click here for flyer.
• Nov. 13 (Mon.), 7:30 p.m. Mark Berry, Ph.D.: "The Disillusionment of Revolutionaries: Wagner, Frank Castorf, and the Ring." Reader in Music History at Royal Holloway, University of London; author of Treacherous Bonds and Laughing Fire: Politics and Religion in Wagner's Ring; writer on musical and intellectual history subjects; reviewer on his blog, "Boulezian."
• Dec. 8 (Fri.), 7:30 p.m. Francesca Zambello: "Shining the Ring: Revisiting It as a Director." Artistic and General Director of The Glimmerglass Festival and Artistic Director of The Washington National Opera. Her Ring cycle production will be revived at San Francisco Opera in three cycles, June 2018. SF Opera Ring brochures will be available.
Venue and details for Sept., Oct., Nov., and Dec. programs: Liederkranz Foundation, 6 East 87th Street (between 5th & Madison Aves.), New York, NY 10128, Members and students: free; non-members: $10.00. Social hour follows program.
• Jan. 2018. Annual recital by a WSNY grantee. Full info available soon.
• Feb. 18 (Sun.) Annual seminar: Parsifal. Highlighting the Met revival of the 2013 Parsifal production. Speakers to date: Prof. William Kinderman and Prof. Katherine Syer (U. of IL at Urbana-Champaign), Prof. Sarah Kay (Chair, NYU French Dept.), Jeffrey Swann, Ph.D. (pianist/musicologist). Plus Met Cast Roundtable.
• Wagner in the U.S. and Canada: 2017-2018 Updated 8/28/17
Click here for a comprehensive list of performances (and performers, if known) of Wagner operas on these shores. The list will be updated as new information is received. You don't have to go abroad to hear and see great performances.
Wagner Society of New York
P.O. Box 230949, Ansonia Station
York, NY 10023-0949
Phone: (212) 749-4561; Fax: (212) 749-1542
Press inquiries: 212 749-4561
You are visitor: