Welcome to the Wagner Society of New York
To view information about the Society (the largest in this continent,
established in 1977, 40th anniversary this year!), upcoming events, membership,
excerpts from our bimonthly publication Wagner Notes, our extensive
catalogue of Wagner-related books (with member discounts), and links to many
other Wagner organizations and institutions, please click on the buttons. An
online membership form is also available.
MEMBERSHIP: Join or renew now and obtain many member benefits, including opportunities for group sales. Membership year: Sept. 2017–Aug. 2018. New membership received after March 1, 2018, is valid through August 2019. Click here or go to the membership button.
• Nov. 13 (Mon.), 7:30 p.m. Mark Berry, Ph.D.: "The Disillusionment of Revolutionaries: Wagner, Frank Castorf, and the Ring." Reader in Music History at Royal Holloway, University of London; author of Treacherous Bonds and Laughing Fire: Politics and Religion in Wagner's Ring; writer on musical and intellectual history subjects; reviewer on his blog, "Boulezian." Click here for flyer.
• Dec. 8 (Fri.), 7:30 p.m. Francesca Zambello: "Shining the Ring: Revisiting It as a Director." Artistic and General Director of The Glimmerglass Festival and Artistic Director of The Washington National Opera. Her Ring cycle production will be revived at San Francisco Opera in three cycles, June 2018. SF Opera Ring brochures will be available. Click here for flyer.
Please note: Nov. and Dec. programs: Liederkranz Foundation, 6 East 87th Street (between 5th & Madison Aves.), New York, NY 10128, Members and students: free; non-members: $10.00. Social hour follows program.
• Jan. 6 (Sat.), 7:30 p.m., 2018. Holiday Recital: Clay Hilley, tenor, WSNY Lauch Fund awardee, and Abdiel Vasquez, prize-winning pianist. Good Shepherd Church, Lincoln Center area. Details to come.
• Jan. 28 (Sun.), 3:00 p.m. Vocal Showcase: Parsifal, with talk. Bruno Walter Auditorium, Lincoln Center. WSNY grantee singers: Terina Westmeyer, soprano; Mauricio Trejo, tenor; John Dominik III, bass-baritone; Craig Ketter, piano. A joint event with the Met Opera Guild. WSNY members may call the Met Opera Guild directly at 212-769-7028 to receive the member price of $30.00.
•Feb. 18 (Sun.) Annual Seminar: Parsifal. One of our most anticipated events. Speakers and topics to date: Prof. William Kinderman (Kinderman and Syer: U. of IL at Urbana-Champaign): “Grail vs. Anti-Grail: Drama and Music in Parsifal”; Prof. Katherine Syer: “Carving out Space in Parsifal: Creative Staging and Design Solutions to Wagner’s Drama”; Prof. Sarah Kay (Chair, NYU French Dept.): “Uncomprehending the Comprehensible, or How a Serving Dish Became the Grail”; Jeffrey Swann, Ph.D. (pianist/musicologist): “The Music of Parsifal: a Mixture, a Summation, or a Culmination?” Plus the Met Cast Roundtable
• Wagner in the U.S. and Canada: 2017-2018 Updated 10/1/17
Click here for a comprehensive list of performances, performers, and creative team (if known) of Wagner operas on these shores. The list will be updated as new information is received. You don't have to go abroad to hear and see great performances.
Wagner Society of New York
P.O. Box 230949, Ansonia Station
York, NY 10023-0949
Phone: (212) 749-4561; Fax: (212) 749-1542
Press inquiries: 212 749-4561
You are visitor: